Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Moving Down to the Southern State of Johor

My entry this time should rightfully begin with the story of my migration to the southernmost part of Malaysia - Johor. My hubby had been assigned to manage his company’s new branch office in Johor Bahru (JB). I was startled because I had never stayed elsewhere apart from KL (and the Klang Valley) for more than 30 years of my life. Yes, I had been away in a boarding school for 5 years in Ipoh but that was then when I was still a kid and only during my studies.

I couldn’t imagine myself juggling with work and bringing up my son alone in KL while my hubby had to be in JB. And the likes of him driving up to KL every weekend to grudgingly serve as a weekend husband and a momentary dad was way too impossible (i.e. knowing a person who works in an advertising line, time is often not on their side). So we made a decision of a lifetime to move down to JB, as a family. It was indeed for the better. After all, KL is just a 4-hour drive away from JB, which means KL would now be in our monthly agenda for as long as we have to be in JB :-).

Yup, I missed KL so much and I missed my mom & dad and my sisters and friends to bits. I was not that familiar with the whole JB landscape, which made me ‘a handicap’ for the first couple of months here. My hubby was trying his level best to accommodate me with everything he could to make me feel welcome and happy. So, he made a point to bring us all around the state to discover Johor as much as possible during the weekends when his work permits.

And so our discovery of Johor began…

No comments: